Tuesday 8 May 2012

Chili ($6, 12 people)

I make chili a lot. Of all the meals I make, it ties right up there with my favourite pasta recipe for number of times made.
Only, unlike my favourite pasta, my chili is never the same.

Chili w/ TVP


The Staple Ingredients:
  • 6-bean medley - 2 cans
  • chili powder
  • garlic
  • fresh ground salt & black pepper
The Optional Ingredients: (pick a few, or all, if you prefer)
  • tomato paste
  • pasta sauce (I'll often use a spicy one)
  • black beans (one can)
  • corn (one can, or 2 c. frozen)
  • jalapeno pepper (with or without seeds, depending on your heat preference)
  • chili pepper (probably just one of these two kinds of pepper)
  • white onion, chopped
  • regular bell pepper, diced
  • carrot, thinly sliced & chopped
  • onion powder
  • pumpkin puree (not my fave, but doable, if you have leftovers to kill.)
The Added Protein:
  • TVP (textured vegetable protein) - I use Bob's Red Mill brand. It is awesome and looks like ground beef, but tastes so much better (imo.) Basically, it's defatted soy flour that soaks up the flavour of whatever you add it to. Plus: cheap! I used it for the first time in the chili pictured above. I'm a new fan.
  • Ground beef. Browned to a crisp first.

I like to serve it with some nice fresh bread, preferably spread with garlic butter.

12 servings too much for you?
 Freeze it up! Lunch-size portions are a way healthier (&cheaper) alternative to store-bought frozen dinners.

{I say $6 cuz that's about all the one above cost me. I almost always buy my beans & sauce on sale.)g


No comments:

Post a Comment