Thursday 24 May 2012

Holiday Train & Boat

After a shockingly long sleep-in after the wedding, I quickly lethargically got my gear together to head down to Hamilton for the weekend.

The sleep-in, let me tell you, is a short story worthy of it's own book. I woke up to a text that said "Good afternoon...." Gulp. A check of the clock confirmed: nope, not 9 am. Not even 9:30 am. 12:50. PM. Yikes! That'll teach me to not set an alarm. Probably the last time I slept solid through to that kinda time was well.... never. I might have stayed in til ridiculous times in my university days, but always after turning over a number of times and sneaking in a novel or some such.

Anyways. The point. I walked out of my house sometime that afternoon.

To 30 degree temperatures. 30 Celsius. So, how do you spell summer again?


Then, as I drove, I took a detour to First Line. Because when you live in Guelph the summer season is also known as the road construction season. Of the three major routes through the city, one is completely shut down, one is down to one lane, and the other has nearly permanent daytime 'traffic.'

And on this detour, of course, I had to run into a slow moving train. So slow-moving that it was in fact, stopped at one very brief moment. The people in front of me turned around. I just took pictures. And realized that as soon as the others had turned around, the train went faster, and I could see the end of it. Waiting was a good option.



And THEN, I got to Hamilton. Where we packed up our kayaks and went for a paddle. It was absolutely gorgeous out. Smooth water, sun shining, warm. We paddled for about 2.5 hours, and it didn't feel like that amount of time had passed! After paddling, we went out to Easterbrook's for dinner. The original location near the RBG has tons of character. I'd recommend it.

Basically, a perfect Saturday afternoon.

Swan family

Papa Swan making sure we stayed a fair distance away

Wave breakers at the back of the RBG


Paddling out to the ship - Skyway bridge in the background!

Made it :) Hello size difference!





No comments:

Post a Comment