Tuesday 8 May 2012

The Promised Quinoa Salad Recipe

I love this light, summery quinoa (keen-wah) salad.
Yeah, I know. Took me forever to realise that's how you pronounce it.

I love quinoa. So many uses. This is about my favourite. I like savoury foods. Many other recipes that use quinoa make it with sweet ingredients. There's even a quinoa bread recipe out there.

Quinoa can be used like pasta, like rice, like flour (somewhat), like oatmeal...

Anyways, here goes:

Veggie Quinoa Salad (originally from the back of a box of Casbah brand quinoa)

Combine the following in a bowl:
  • 225 g. quinoa, rinsed, cooked in 2.5 c. broth & cooled.
    •  For the broth, I used water and a veggie bouillon cube.
    • I think you could just cook in water too. But realise there is sodium-free veggie bouillon out there, if sodium-free is your concern!
  • 1 c. grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 1 sweet yellow pepper, diced
  • 1 cup cucumber diced (or just a whole cuke. Yum.)
Dressing:
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • I used 1 tbsp white vinegar & 1 tbsp apple juice.
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • pinch of salt (optional - especially if you used broth! With water-cooked quinoa, use the salt!)
Pour dressing over quinoa mix & serve cold. YUM! And, it's pretty.

Serves 8-10 (as a hefty side.)

No comments:

Post a Comment